Sunday, March 5, 2017

Confessions of a bar(re) lover!

Barre? Yes. Barre lover? Oh yes! I am the type of girl who gets bored so easily by monotonous gym equipment and constantly long for variety and human interaction for work outs. For those people who has relentless urge to stay fit and doesn't care how may not really understand my point. To me, fitness is 50% obligation and 50% fun, grin.I am happy about inheriting a lot of things from my bloodline like wheatish skin tone, love for food, kanchi saris, gold, stringed jasmine flowers, etc. There's one thing I totally hate is inheriting stubborn fat in my love handle. Hi-5 to all those who agree.

So under the "obligation" I started working out in 2008 and I must say I loved the way I felt after shedding a few kilos. But the "machine" routine got me boring. I should give it to my grandma who used to wake me up every morning at 6 am to get me going to gym and when I refused to wake up she will start yelling from the kitchen complaining about how I'm wasting the money I paid to the gym. Grandma problems I say. I then spent more money and enrolled in a gym which has variety of group exercises like aerobics and yoga which really thrilled me. I remember waking up with extra energy to attend those classes. Later I moved abroad and explored many more types like Zumba, Insanity, Tabata, Spinning, Kick boxing, Boot camp and Body Pump. All these I have listed are really great alternatives to the regular routine and they vary a lot from each other. Zumba, Insanity and spinning are great cardio routines by building the stamina. Body Pump helps in building and toning all the muscles . Tabata, Kick boxing and Boot camp are killer routines which is a mix of cardio and strength training. I really mean it.

I don't have a great health record and I struggle a lot in the above mentioned killer routines where my trainers would constantly be calling out my name to motivate me. Recently, I got introduced to Barre workout which is based on ballet moves. I have 2 different instructors and one is manageable while the other one challenges us. After doing this for about 6 weeks (twice a week) I definitely see noticeable difference in my legs. The first class was really funny where I heard the terms plea and releve for the first time. For starters, these are ballet moves/positions which I had no idea about and still trying to understand. Most of the moves are done on tippy toes which is called 'releve' but we always have an option to stand on our full feet. The class starts with warm up exercises which is then followed by arm using weights and leg workouts using the bars. It usually ends with a couple of core exercises after which our body pleads for rest. But again, having a great instructor is the main motivating factor for any activity. I look forward to my Friday morning ballet classes mainly because of my instructor who has a son (18+ years old), an amazing body, stamina, personality and knows the art of teaching. And I have an additional advantage of a good company, my colleague who motivates me as well. Both of us cry in pain when we do those pleas, oh god. But at the end of the day we feel really fresh and good for doing something nice to our bodies. So what are you waiting for?


Love, 
Bri

No comments:

Post a Comment